Skip to main content

Enclosed or Confined Space

An ‘Enclosed Space’ is defined as a space that has the following
  • Limited openings for entry and exit.
  • Unfavorable natural ventilation.
  • Not designed for continuous worker occupancy.
Enclosed or confined spaces include, but are not limited to, cargo spaces, double bottoms, fuel tanks, ballast tanks, pump rooms,
compressor rooms, cofferdams, void spaces, duct keels, inter barrier spaces, engine crankcases and sewage tanks.

Although pump rooms come within the definition of an enclosed space, they have their own particular equipment, characteristics and risks which require special precautions and procedures.
It is the responsibility of the ship’s operator to establish procedures for safe entry of personnel into an enclosed spaces. The process of requesting, raising, issuing and documenting permits to enter into an enclosed or confined space should be controlled by procedures in the ship’s Safety Management System (SMS). 

It is the Master’s responsibility to ensure that the established procedures for entry into an enclosed space are implemented.
The Master and responsible officer are responsible for determining whether entry into an enclosed space may be permitted. It is the duty of the responsible officer to ensure:
  • That the space is ventilated.
  • That the atmosphere in the compartment is tested and found
  • satisfactory.
  • That safeguards are in place to protect personnel from the hazards
  • that are identified.
  • That appropriate means for controlling entry are in place.

Personnel carrying out work in an enclosed space are responsible for following the procedures and for using the safety equipment specified


Popular posts from this blog

Load Line & Why it is Important

Merchant ships have a marking on their hull know as the Plimsoll line or the Plimsoll mark, which indicates the limit until which ships can be loaded with enough cargo, internationally, the Plimsoll line on a ship is officially referred to as the international load line. Every type of ship has a different level of floating and the Plimsoll line on a ship generally varies from one vessel to another.  All vessels of 24 meters and more are required to have this Load line marking at the centre position of the length of summer load water line. There are two types of Load line markings:- Standard Load Line marking – This is applicable to all types of vessels. Timber Load Line Markings – This is applicable to vessels carrying timber cargo. These marks shall be punched on the surface of the hull making it visible even if the ship side paint fades out. The marks shall again be painted with white or yellow colour on a dark background/black on a light background.  The comp

Difference Between A, B & C-Class Divisions?

IMO Symbol A Class Division  IMO Symbol B Class Division  SOLAS has tables for structural fire protection requirement of bulkheads and decks. The requirements depend on the spaces in question and are different for passenger ships and cargo ships. The Administration has required a test of a prototype bulkhead or deck in accordance with the Fire Test Procedures Code to ensure that it meets the above requirements for integrity and temperature rise. Types of Divisions: "A" Class "B" Class "C" Class "A" Class: "A" class divisions are those divisions formed by bulkheads and decks which comply with the following criteria: They are constructed of steel or equivalent material They are suitably stiffened They are constructed as to be capable of preventing the passage of smoke and flame to the end of the one-hour standard fire test. they are insulated with approved non-combustible materials such that the average tempera

Gravity Disc

Oils containing water can only be de-watered in a perfect manner if the bowl is accurately adjusted to the difference in densities of oil and water. The gravity disc with proper inner diameter i.e. with the diameter that corresponds to the difference in densities of the oil-water mixture to be treated should, therefore, be inserted in the bowl, This disc can be chosen from the set of disc provided with the separator. The inner diameter of the disc to be chosen can be determined by:  Calculation   Experiment The general rule is : Small diameter gravity disc when treating heavy oil Large diameter regulating ring when treating light oil Determining the size of gravity disc by calculation: For a given separating temperature, the inner diameter of the gravity disc and if the desired density of the oil can be determined from the diagram, provided that the density of the oil at a temperature ranging 15℃ and 90℃ is known. For example; Given: Density of oil at 20℃            ρ oil